Adoption through foster care is a possible means of adopting a child, but many have been weary of taking the steps. We will be looking at Adoption, Foster care, the pros and cons of adoption through fostering.
What is Adoption?
Adoption according to oxford dictionary, is the act of adopting, or state of being adopted. It’s a voluntary acceptance of a child of other parents to be the same as one’s own child.
What is foster care?
Foster Care according to the oxford dictionary simply means to nurture or bring up offspring; or to provide similar parental care to an unrelated child.
Adopting a child through foster care is a very good way of giving the child an opportunity to have a family.
Presently there are above 117,000 kids and teenagers in foster care who wants to be loved and be secured which can only be provided by a family.
Children in foster care
Many children find themselves in foster care as a result of circumstances beyond their control. This could have been an abuse, abandonment or neglect by their real parents. Children in foster homes are under the temporal care of the state government. The biological parents can only claim them if they can continue to care for the child. Also if it’s at the best interest of the child that he/she wants to be with his/her parents. A good number of people who stay in foster homes usually go back to their parents. Those who are up for adoption can be adopted by those interested or their relatives. Looking to adopt?
Adoption Through Foster care
Fostering before Adopting
Most states see adoption and foster care as a way of continuing family lineage. So they make polices to encourage couples to first become foster parents. Some states makes it mandatory for couples who want to adopt to attend foster care counseling classes first before proceeding for adoption.
Benefits of fostering a child before adoption
- Couples who crave to extend their love and intellect with kids can actually start by becoming a foster parents first before they eventually find a child to adopt. So, it facilitates parenting.
- It enables the children to know if they can have a permanent relationship with each other within the period they are under their care.
- Couples can have children to care for within the age of infants to 21years.
The child can start living with the intended parents, if certified to provide foster care. This apparently reduces the amount involved in adoption.
- Foster parenting provides a suitable condition for adoption.
- The foster parents are able to build a relationship with the family members of the child. This can continue even after the adoption.
- They start bonding as a family.
They are able to understand the needs of the children and ask for help during adoption.
- Couples are able to learn proper parenting from traumatized children
Important Note on Foster Care
The two major difference between Adoption and Foster Care
2. Parental Rights
Now that you know the difference and the requirements. If you want to adopt a child you should examine yourself if you are ready to take up the full responsibility for the child. You should also follow the legal procedures for adoption. You must be able to determine if you can cater to them temporarily or permanently. Also, prepare to face some challenges that comes with children with traumatic experiences before they taken to foster homes.
Looking to adopt through Foster care? Read more on Best Non-Profit Foster Care Organizations